This is a perfect dish of turnips that have a hint of flavor and are cooked to delicate and crisp translucency. A simple stir-fry with turnips and turnip greens. Perfect over warm toasted bread and vegan cheese.
Turnips With Caramelized Onions and Toasted Lentils [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Turnips With Caramelized Onions and Toasted Lentils [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium-sized red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 pods garlic, very finely chopped
- 11/2 tablespoons split yellow moong lentils (soaked for 1 hour)
- 3/4 cup small fresh turnips, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon red cayenne powder
- 1 cup of turnip greens, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro to garnish
How to Prepare Turnips With Caramelized Onions and Toasted Lentils [Vegan]
- Heat the oil and add in the cumin seeds and wait until the seeds begin to sizzle.
- Add in the red onion and cook the onion until it is a pale toffee color and the kitchen begins to smell softly fragrant.
- Add in the garlic and saute lightly for another two to three minutes.
- Add in the lentils and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the lentils are nice and toasty and a few shades darker.
- Add in the turnips and mix in gently. Stir in the turmeric, salt, and red cayenne powder and mix well. Cook lightly until the turnips are soft and shimmering.
- Mix in the turnip greens and cook until the greens are wilted.
- Stir in the cilantro and garnish.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.