Crispy, crunchy, and surprisingly good for you, these Indian biscuits are a must-have! While these crackers are traditionally fried, here they are baked for a healthier alternative. They're flavorful as is, but would taste delicious dipped in hummus as well!
Tukdi: Spicy Indian Biscuits [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder or cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- Salt, to taste
- Mix all-purpose flour, wheat flour, rice flour, asafoetida, chili powder, shortening, and salt, and mix well.
- Now add warm water little by little and knead to form a semi-soft dough.
- Keep this aside for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Take a big ball of dough. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a thin circle and using a pizza cutter or knife cut them into squares, diamonds, or any desired shape.
- Place each piece on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until once. If you'd like, flip them after 5 minutes. Depending on the thickness the time may vary slightly.
Store it in air tight container. The biscuits will remain fresh for at least 15 days.