Make yourself something fancy for breakfast or brunch with this tofu Benedict! Firm tofu is sprinkled with an eggy spice blend and cooked until golden, then placed atop a toasted English muffin with mushroom bacon, creamy hollandaise, and greens. The mushroom bacon tastes like sweet and salty goodness, but if you're not a fan of mushrooms you can swap it out for tempeh bacon. And of course, don't forget to top it off with some hot sauce and black pepper!
Tofu Benedict With Mushroom Bacon [Vegan]
For the Mushroom Bacon:
- 2 small Portabello caps or 1 large, sliced
- A pinch applewood smoked salt or sea salt
- A drizzle of olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
For the Tofu:
- 1 English muffin, toasted
- A dab of vegan butter
- 2 firm tofu slices, about 1/2-inch thick
- 1/8 teaspoon Himalayan sulfur salt, per slice
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric, per slice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutritional yeast, per slice
- A handful of baby spinach
For the Hollandaise:
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- A drizzle of liquid sweetener
- Hot sauce and freshly cracked pepper, to garnish
To Make the Mushroom Bacon:
- Heat a small pan over medium heat. Add all ingredients to the pan and cook for 5 or so minutes, stirring and turning as needed. You will want the mushrooms to retain some plumpness. Remove from pan and set aside.
To Make the Tofu:
- Wipe down the pan you used to cook the bacon. Over medium heat, add a dab of vegan butter. Add seasoned tofu rounds and cook until golden, flip and cook the other side in the same manner.
To Make the Hollandaise:
- While the tofu is cooking in the pan, make the hollandaise.
- Place sunflower seeds, nutritional yeast, and turmeric in a food processor or high-powered blender. Blend until sunflowers begin to turn into a powder. With the blender/food processor running, add the boiling water , lemon juice, and sweetener, then blend until very smooth.
- Layer baby spinach on top of each toasted English muffin half, followed by a slice of tofu egg, Portabello bacon, and finish it off with hollandaise, freshly cracked pepper, and hot sauce.