Chocolate lovers, this recipe is for you! These warm, gooey brownies are speckled with coconut flakes and have chunks of melt-in-your-mouth chocolate throughout. Enjoy them right out of the oven with a cold glass of almond milk.
Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chunk Brownies [Vegan]
- 2 flax eggs (1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds plus 3 tablespoons of water per egg)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup chocolate bar, broken into large chunks
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, toasted
- Preheat your oven to 350° F. Spray 12 muffin cups with cooking spray, or line them with silicone muffin liners.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ground flaxseed and water, set aside to thicken.
- Prepare your chocolate bar by chopping it into chunks. You'll be melting half of the pieces and stirring in the remaining half towards the end of the preparation.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together the flour and cocoa powder until smooth.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the coconut oil. Once the coconut oil is melted, turn off the heat and add in 1/2 of the chocolate bar chunks. Stir until fully combined and smooth. Add the coconut sugar and vanilla extract to the oil and chocolate mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the chocolate liquid into the flour and cocoa mixture, as well as the 2 flax eggs. Stir until just combined.
- Fold in the remaining 1/2 of the chocolate bar chunks and the toasted coconut.
- Add 2 tablespoons of batter to each muffin cup.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes, checking often towards the end of cooking as baking times may vary.
- Allow the brownies to cool completely before removing from the pan and serving.