These vegan ice cream sandwiches are a snap to make. Fresh mint ice cream snuggled in between an easy chocolaty crust, drizzled with chocolate for an extra kick. The filling is pretty much the easiest thing ever. Coconut milkfat from a cat, a green banana, maple syrup, and mint leaves, which adds a pretty green color and natural mint flavor. Using green banana as part of the filling makes the ice cream lighter than your average plant-based options. If you use a green banana, it won’t impart any banana taste and you still get the creamy nana qualities.
Thin Mint Ice Cream Sandwiches [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Filling:
- 1 cup coconut cream (from a can of full-fat coconut milk)
- 1 small-ish green banana
- 1/2 scant cup of mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
For the Crust:
- 3/4 cup dates (about 16 dates)
- 1 cup gluten-free old-fashioned oats
- A pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
For the Drizzle:
- 1/2 cup vegan mini chocolate chips
- Place the dates in a microwave-safe bowl and cover completely with water. Nuke for 4 minutes. Drain, but reserve 1/2 cup of the date water.
- Combine the dates, date water, oats, salt, and cocoa powder in a food processor.
- Roll out the crust into an 8x8-inch square. Parchment helps.
- Cut the square in half and place one-half in the bottom of a 8x4-inch loaf pan. You should line the pan with parchment so it's easier to get out later.
- Whir up all filling ingredients till smooth. Spoon over the bottom crust, spreading to reach all edges.
- Place in the freezer for 1 hour to firm up a bit, and then place the second crust piece over top. Allow to continue to harden, about another hour or so.
- Gently remove from pan. Cut into eight 2-inch squares, and then cut those squares into triangles.
- Melt the chocolate chips and drizzle over the sandwiches. Allow the chocolate to harden again and then serve.