Don’t get spooked by the long list of ingredients or steps – it’s simple to make and the result is oh so worth the effort! I made all the filling ingredients at once and then popped half in the fridge. Then we ate half the sandwiches for dinner and only had to make the cheesy toast again to enjoy them for brunch again the next day. Trust me, make more. You won’t regret it.
The Magical Tempeh Reuben [Vegan]
- 12 slices Bread (rye is traditional but I like gluten-free multi-grain)
- 2 large Tomatoes, sliced
- 1 packet of Non-dairy Cheese (I like Notzarella or Vegusto), sliced
- 1 cup Sauerkraut
- 1 packet Tempeh
- ½ cup Apple Juice (unsweetened)
- 2 tbsp Agave Nectar
- ¼ cup Tamari / Soy Sauce
- 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 small piece Ginger, finely chopped
- ½ cup Pine Nuts blended with ½ cup Water until smooth and creamy
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Splash of Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ Lemon, juiced
- 1 clove Garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp Mustard (I like American because it’s sweeter, but French would be good too)
- 3 tbsp Ketchup / Tomato Sauce
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- Pinch of Cracked Black Pepper and Sea Salt
- 2 tbsp chopped Brown Onion
- 2 large Brown Onions, sliced (minus 2tbsp used in the Russian dressing)
- Splash of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Cut tempeh in half horizontally to create two large, thin sheets. Cut each sheet into 6 even pieces.
- Place tempeh pieces in a single layer in a baking dish and cover evenly with the marinade ingredients. Place baking dish in the oven and allow to bake for 30 minutes or so.
- Slice onions and throw them into a saucepan with the oil and salt. Slowly cook over a low-medium heat until caramelized and golden brown (about 20 minutes).
- Combine all Russian dressing ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Place bread slices under the grill and toast one side until golden. Flip bread over, place cheese on top of each slice and grill until cheese melts.
- Remove from grill and place a generous dollop of Russian dressing on each cheesy toast slice.
- On 6 of the bread slices, assemble sandwich by placing two pieces of tempeh on each bread slice, topped with a slice or two of tomato, a large dollop of sauerkraut and caramelized onions.
- Top with another cheesy toast slice and wrap your laughing gear around it!