Also known as the Fat Elvis, these peanut butter banana whoopie pies are going to make your hips gyrate like the King himself! Delicate little banana cakes filled with creamy peanut butter buttercream, fresh banana slices, and drenched with chocolate ganache! These cakes freeze perfectly, so if you can't finish the batch in a reasonable amount of time, you can freeze them — you never know who might pop over for dessert!
The Fat Elvis: Peanut Butter Banana Whoopie Pies [Vegan]
For the Whoopie Pies:
- 1 cup mashed banana (approximately 2 1/2 large ripe bananas)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Peanut Butter Filling:
To Make the Whoopie Pies:
- Combine the ground flax with the hot water and whisk to a paste, let stand for at least 5 minutes to thicken.
- Combine the oil, mashed banana, sugar, vanilla extract and flax paste together in a large mixing bowl with a hand whisk.
- Sift together the flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and add to the wet mixture, whisk until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and while you wait, refrigerate the batter.
- Scoop the batter onto a parchment paper lined sheet pan with a 1.5-ounce scoop spaced 2 inches apart and bake for approximately 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- They will be puffed and springy when you press the centers.
- Cool completely before filling with the peanut butter buttercream recipe follows.
To Make the Peanut Butter Filling:
- Combine all the ingredients for the peanut butter filling together except for the buttercream.
- Cream it all smooth by hand with a spatula or with a mixer.
- Add the optional buttercream last and serve with fresh banana slices and chocolate sauce.
The whoopie pies filled with filling (minus the fresh bananas) will last for 2-3 days at room temperature stored in an airtight container.