The first time I had bubble tea (aka boba), I was kind of weirded out. What the hell were these things at the bottom of my drink? One after the other… chew chew chew. Sounds so weird, right? Yeah… but Lord, are they addictive. Every once in a while, I would treat myself to a boba smoothie at a place nearby, but then they went out of business. GAH. So I took matters into my own hands and ordered some boba for myself (along with boba-esque straws). It is surprisingly suuuuper easy to make, and it’s an awesome treat every once in a while.
The Boba Fett Smoothie [Vegan]
- 1/4 cup tapioca pearls
- 2 cups water (to cook pearls)
- 1/2 cup water (for simple syrup)
- 1/2 cup raw turbinado sugar
- 1 cup frozen mango
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add tapioca pearls, turn down to med heat and cook for 12 minutes
- After 12 minutes, turn off the heat, cover pearls, and allow to sit for another 12 minutes
- While pearls are cooking, bring 1/2 cup water to boil and add your raw sugar – allow to dissolve and remove from heat
- Once your syrup and pearls are done, add pearls to bowl and cover with simple syrup – let sit for 15 minutes.
- Make smoothie by adding frozen mango and strawberries to a high-powered blender – add liquid if you’d like (I used a little water)
- Scoop your pearls in the bottom of a glass and top with smoothie