A Thai Style 'Tom Kha' Soup spiced with chilis, coconut milk, lime juice, eggplant and mushrooms. A delicious soup that can be thrown together quickly and made in bulk - perfect for a weeknight meal.
Thai Style Coconut Soup [Vegan]
- 1 and 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1/2 of a large eggplant (or 1 Japanese eggplant)
- Handful of cherry tomatoes
- 2 lemongrass stalks
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 handfuls of fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 4 red peppers/chilies
- Simply cube the eggplant into small bite size pieces.
- Then slice the cherry tomatoes and mushrooms into half size pieces.
- On high heat bring the veggie broth to a boil. Once it’s boiling, lower down to a simmer and add in the coconut milk, eggplant, chilies and ginger slices.
- Take a cup or a butcher’s block and smash down the lemongrass stock – this helps to release the flavors.
- Now cut the lemongrass into inch pieces and add it to the broth as well.
- Once the eggplant is almost fully cooked, about 15 minutes, toss in the mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, lime juice, sugar and pinch of salt, and let this simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Once the veggies have fully cooked, stir in the cilantro and enjoy!