If you're the type of person who likes a lot of stuff going on in their salad, this is the recipe for you! Crunchy lettuce, tempeh bacon, tomatoes, marinated mushrooms, creamy cashew, and sun-dried tomato dressing, ... the list goes on. This salad is savory, delicious, and nutrition packed!
Tempeh Bacon Salad With Marinated Mushrooms [Vegan, Gluten Free]
2 large salads
For the Tempeh Bacon:
- 1/2 of 1 8-ounce block of tempeh, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons wheat-free tamari
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
For the Marinated Mushrooms:
- 6 Whole White, Cremini, or Baby Bella mushrooms, washed and halved
- 1 tablespoon wheat-free tamari
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon hot paprika or cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon avocado oil
For the Creamy Cashew Tomato Dressing:
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, set to soak in 1/4 cup warm water for about 30 minutes (reserve soaking water, you'll need 3 tablespoons of it for the dressing)
- 1/4 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, set to soak in warm water for at least 30 minutes
For the Salad:
- 1/2 of 1 romaine heart, washed and dried
- Mixed greens
- 1/2 of 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cucumber, sliced
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Tempeh bacon
- Marinated mushrooms
- Creamy cashew tomato dressing
- Avocado, grilled
- Whisk the tamari, apple cider vinegar, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and maple syrup together. As you continue to whisk, add the water and avocado oil. In a large, shallow baking dish or container, lay the tempeh slices side by side. Pour marinade over top. If you need to layer the tempeh slices, ensure that you pour marinade over the first layer, and again after you add the next layer so that all the tempeh is covered. Place in the refrigerator and allow the tempeh to marinate for at least 2 hours, or up to 2 days.
- When ready to cook, preheat a pan over medium-high heat. Add the tempeh slices to the pan, single layer, and cook for 3-5 minutes. Turn each slice over and cook an additional 1-2 minutes, careful not to burn. Set aside for a few minutes to allow to cool a little, and become slightly crispy.
- Whisk together all marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Gently toss the mushrooms in the marinade, so that each is well-coated. Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes, tossing occasionally in the marinade.
- Preheat grill over medium heat. If you plan to grill the avocado, halve it and add it to the grill when you do the mushrooms.
- Gently push each mushroom onto a skewer, about 6 pieces on each. Cook, turning skewers occasionally, for approximately 10 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked through and lightly browned. Remove mushrooms (and avocado, if grilling) from heat and set aside.
- Combine the sun-dried tomatoes, chopped tomatoes, white wine and balsamic vinegars, black pepper, nutritional yeast, water, and olive oil and blend, starting on a low speed and slowly increasing to high, until smooth. Drain, and rinse the soaking cashews, then add to the blender and blend again until completely smooth. You may need to stop and scrape down the sides a few times as you blend, to ensure all the ingredients are integrated. Taste and adjust, if needed. Set aside.
- To assemble, slice romaine hearts into thin strips, and toss with mixed greens. Layer lettuces on a serving platter. Top with halved tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, and thinly sliced scallion. Crumble tempeh bacon and sprinkle over salad. Top with grilled mushrooms and avocado. Drizzle with dressing, and serve.
You'll need two skewers for cooking the mushrooms on the grill. If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water as you're marinating the mushrooms to reduce burning the wood.