Tarte Flambée or “Flammkuchen” in german is a traditional dish from Alsace (a region in France). It is rather popular in the south of Germany as well. It is traditionally made in a wood-fire oven. But that didn’t hold me back from making my own vegan Tarte Flambée at home in a regular oven! I’ve used a chickpea creme for the base, added some caramelized onions and smoky tempeh bits on top and of course avocado! I sprinkled it with lemon juice and sea salt – it was so good, you have to try it! It’s sweet from the caramelized onions, smoky from the tempeh, creamy because of the chickpea spread and avocado and fresh and light from the lemon juice.
Tarte Flambée With Caramelized Onions, Smoky Tempeh Bits and Avocado [Vegan]
For the Dough:
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ package / ½ teaspoon active dry yeast
- ⅔ cup warm water
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
For the Top:
- 1 cup canned & drained chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (and more to sprinkle on top)
- 2 onions
- 2 inch-piece tempeh
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke
- a pinch of salt
- 1 avocado
- For the pizza dough, put all the ingredients in a kitchen machine or mix by hand and let it rise until it doubles in size.
- Caramelize the onions by slicing them thinly and cooking them in a pan on medium heat along with a teaspoon of oil. Stir every 10 to 20 minutes. The whole process will take about an hour - don't rush it! Add a few teaspoons of water when the onions will stick to the pan. Set the onions aside.
- Preheat the oven on full heat.
- Prepare the chickpea spread by processing the chickpeas together with a teaspoon of lemon juice and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Add water until it reaches the consistency of hummus.
- Cut the tempeh in small bits and pan-fry them until nicely browned and crispy. Add the Liquid Smoke & a dash of salt.
- Roll out the dough base as thin as possible.
- Spread the chickpea spread on top and place them in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- Take the Tarte Flambées out, top them with the caramelized onions and tempeh bits and put them bake in the oven for about 2 minutes.
- Peel the avocado and cut it in slices and add it to the Tarte flambée before serving.
- Sprinkle with additional lemon juice and sea salt and enjoy!