This Tandoori Tofu is seasoned and cooked to perfection. The key is to marinate the tofu so it absorbs all of the different flavors. This results in spicy and moist tofu that tastes better than any tofu you could get at a restaurant. Any leftover marinade can be made into a sauce for tofu, rice, potatoes, veggies, or anything else you'd like! Top you Tandoori Tofu with a delicious Spiced Tomato Yogurt sauce for extra flavor. This really is such a delicious meal––you have got to try it!
Tandoori Tofu [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Tofu and Marinade:
- 1 14-ounce block extra-firm tofu, pressed and drained
- Juice of one lemon
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons plain non-dairy yogurt,
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 4 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger or 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- A dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
For the Spiced Tomato Yogurt Sauce:
To Make the Tandoori-Style Tofu:
- After the tofu has been pressed and drained, cut it into your desired shapes. Place the slices into a shallow bowl. Cover the tofu with the juice of one lemon and sprinkle with salt. Set aside while you prepare the marinade.
- Combine all the marinade ingredients into a food processor and process until you have a smooth, thick paste. Pour the marinade over the tofu and with a pastry brush, make sure the slices are covered with marinade on both sides. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 500°F. Place a cooling rack or a slotted broiler rack over a baking sheet that is covered with foil or parchment paper. Shake the excess marinade off and place the pieces of tofu onto the rack. Reserve the marinade in the bowl. Bake for 15 minutes, turning the baking sheet around halfway through. You want the tofu to develop a crust with a charred look. Turn the broiler on and let the tofu char for a minute or two.
- While the tofu is baking, prepare the sauce.
To Make the Spiced Tomato Yogurt Sauce:
- In a saucepan, heat the oil (or melt the butter) over medium-high heat.
- Add the flour and whisk until all the flour is combined. Let cook for a minute so you don’t get a raw flour taste.
- Add the reserved marinade to the saucepan along with the tomato paste. Mix it well.
- Add 2-3 cups of broth, whisking continuously, until everything is combined and you have a smooth sauce.
- Lower the heat, cover the pan and let it cook for a few minutes until the sauce thickens. If you want the sauce to be extra silky, you can whisk in another tablespoon of butter at the end.
- Serve the tandoori-style tofu topped with the spiced tomato-yogurt sauce.