You may recognize that "taktouka" is very similar to a very famous Tunisian dish called "shakshuka," which is a dish of spiced tomatoes, chili peppers, and onions topped with poached eggs. Taktouka is very similar in flavor, but it is made with spiced bell peppers and tomatoes with plenty of fresh cilantro thrown into the mix. It's the perfect dip for any event.
Taktouka: Moroccan Spicy Peppers and Tomato Dip [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 6 red and green bell peppers
- 2 jalapeños, finely diced (optional)
- 6 tomatoes
- 1 bunch of cilantro, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Roast the whole peppers on a gas flame or barbecue, or alternatively broil them in the oven. Then, place them in a plastic bag for 10 minutes to sweat them.
- In the meantime, dice the tomatoes and sauté them in pan with olive oil until all the water is evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are cooking, peel and clean the peppers from the seeds and stem. Finely dice them.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked, add the peppers, garlic, cilantro, cumin, and paprika.
- Cook for about 15-20 minutes on medium-high heat while stirring.