This budget-friendly taco mac and cheese recipe does it all – and then some. The creamy cheese sauce is made from carrots, potatoes, and nutritional yeast. The "meat" sauce in this recipe is actually rice combined with tomatoes and spices to give it delicious, savory flavors. No nuts, no soy, and super easy to make! Top with a squeeze of lime juice and hot sauce.
Taco Mac and Cheese [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Taco Mac and Cheese [Vegan]
For the Cheese Sauce:
- 3 medium-sized potatoes
- 2 large carrots
- 1/2 cup water
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon citrus juice (lemon, lime, etc...)
- 3 tablespoons oil or water
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
For the Taco Meat:
- 1/2 cup dry rice
- 1/2 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- A sprinkle of oregano
- A sprinkle of red pepper flakes
- A sprinkle of onion powder
- A sprinkle of garlic powder
- Salt, to taste
- Pasta of your choice
How to Prepare Taco Mac and Cheese [Vegan]
To Make the Cheese Sauce:
- Boil or steam peeled potatoes and chopped carrots
- Put cooked vegetables in a blender with 1/2 cup of water. Blend until smooth.
- Add salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and citrus juice.
- Add either oil or water, then blend.
- Add nutritional yeast. Blend. Add tiny amounts of water if it’s too thick to blend.
To Make the Taco Meat:
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- When the rice is cooked, add half of the large can of crushed tomatoes to the rice. The goal is to coat the rice without making it soupy.
- Add chili powder, cumin, a sprinkle of oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and red pepper flakes. Mix well.
- Mix the cheese sauce with your favorite pasta, then top with taco meat sauce. Finish with sliced tomatoes, avocado, and cilantro.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.