Filled with delicious vegan cream cheese, crunchy veggies and sweet potato tempura, the creamy avocado layers on the outside is what’s really taking this roll to the next level. This Sweet Potato Tempura Roll is so easy to make and will quickly become one of your absolute favorites as it’s full of delicious flavor and texture.
Sweet Potato Tempura Roll [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup black jasmine rice
- 1/2 cup sushi rice
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and sliced
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 avocado (1/2 for filling - 1/2 for coating)
- 1 small cucumber, julienned
- 1 small carrot, julienned
- Cook your sushi rice according to instructions on the package and let cool down.
- Slice the sweet potato into strips. Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In one bowl, combine breadcrumbs, flour, spices and salt and whisk together. In another bowl, place the milk. Dip each strip into the milk, then breadcrumb mixture, then milk and again breadcrumb mixture and then transfer onto the baking sheet. Place in the oven bake at 350°F for 30 minutes until crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Prepare the veggies for the filling. Slice the avocado thinly and cut the carrot and cucumber in slices.
- Take half a nori sheet and place it on a bamboo mat. Place ½ cup of the sushi rice on top and gently press down (wet your hands for easier handling). Carefully turn the nori sheet around so the empty side looks up. Add the filling ingredients (carrot, cucumber, sweet potato, cream cheese) and use the bamboo mat to roll up the sushi roll.
- Take the avocado slices and spread it on top of the sushi roll. Use a piece of plastic film to cover the roll. Use the bamboo mat to gently press the avocado in shape, then remove plastic foil and cut into slices.
- Sweet Potato