Filled with delicious vegan cream cheese, crunchy veggies, and sweet potato tempura, the creamy avocado layers on the outside is what’s really taking this roll to the next level. This Sweet Potato Tempura Roll is so easy to make and will quickly become one of your absolute favorites as it’s full of delicious flavor and texture.
Sweet Potato Tempura Roll [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Sweet Potato Tempura Roll [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup black jasmine rice
- 1/2 cup sushi rice
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and sliced
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 avocado (1/2 for filling - 1/2 for coating)
- 1 small cucumber, julienned
- 1 small carrot, julienned
How to Prepare Sweet Potato Tempura Roll [Vegan]
- Cook your sushi rice according to instructions on the package and let it cool down.
- Slice the sweet potato into strips. Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In one bowl, combine breadcrumbs, flour, spices, and salt and whisk together. In another bowl, place the milk. Dip each strip into the milk, then breadcrumb mixture, then milk, and again breadcrumb mixture and then transfer onto the baking sheet. Place in the oven bake at 350°F for 30 minutes until crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Prepare the veggies for the filling. Slice the avocado thinly and cut the carrot and cucumber into slices.
- Take half a nori sheet and place it on a bamboo mat. Place ½ cup of the sushi rice on top and gently press down (wet your hands for easier handling). Carefully turn the nori sheet around, so the empty side looks up. Add the filling ingredients (carrot, cucumber, sweet potato, cream cheese) and use the bamboo mat to roll up the sushi roll.
- Take the avocado slices and spread them on top of the sushi roll. Use a piece of plastic film to cover the roll. Use the bamboo mat to gently press the avocado in shape, remove plastic foil and cut it into slices.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Sweet Potato
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.