If you've got sweet potatoes on hand, these sweet potato biscuits are perfect to whip up! They’re great for a hearty breakfast or as an accompaniment to any dinner. The preparation method for these is exactly like making biscuits, so if you’re skilled at biscuit making, these will be a breeze.
Sweet Potato Scones [Vegan]
For the Dry Ingredients:
- 1 cup whole spelt flour and about 1/4 cup extra for working the dough
- 1 cup potato starch or tapioca or sorghum flour
- 2 tablespoons date sugar or other minimally processed sweetener
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- handful of dried cranberries or raisins (optional)
For the Wet Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon cashew or almond butter
- 1 tablespoon ground chia or ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Mix all wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Use a whisk to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir to combine. Be gentle and don’t overmix. Use your hands if you want to. That’s how I mixed it. You will have a pretty sticky dough (kind of like biscuit dough).
- Turn the dough out onto a floured table or board and knead a few times, adding more flour if it’s too sticky. Pat the dough down until it’s about 3/4” tall.
- Cut the dough with a 3″ round biscuit cutter and place the rounds onto the baking tray, gathering up the scraps as you go and reshaping them to cut more (see notes).
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Cool and serve!
- Sweet Potato