Sweet potatoes are in season! They make a wonderful addition to breads. Its natural sweetness enhances the taste and texture of the bread, make it denser, and adds tons of nutritional value.
Sweet Potato Rolls [Vegan]
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 sweet potato steamed and mashed
- 1 cup soy/almond milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 2 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- Mash sweet potatoes. Add sugar and milk to make a paste.
- Whisk together 2 cups all-purpose flour, salt, cinnamon powder, nutmeg, and yeast.
- Add this is sweet potato paste. Mix well.
- Add more flour from the remaining one cup flour and knead. Keep adding flour until you get manageable dough. Knead till soft and supple.
- Transfer dough to an oiled bowl. Turn the dough to coat it with oil from all sides. Cover and let it rise for 1 hour.
- Punch the dough, divide into 16 to 18 pieces, and shape into rolls. Place them in a greased baking tray. Cover and allow them to rise for 1 hour or till double in size.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until well-browned.
- Remove from the oven, place on the rack to cool. Brush the top of the hot rolls with some vegan butter.