Chewy and moist with chocolate chips in every bite! These cookies are everything a chocolate chip cookie should be, plus a whole lot more. Sweet potato is a "secret" ingredient in these cookies, adding nutrition and the most amazing texture you'll ever experience.
Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Cookies [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup of cooked sweet potato, mashed (white sweet potatoes are highly recommended)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar or date sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup rolled oats, blended or processed into a fine flour (use certified gluten-free oats if needed)
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Rub the skin of the sweet potato with a little coconut oil and cook at 400°F for an hour and allow it to cool. Next, scoop the flesh out and discard the skin, and then measure out 1 cup of sweet potato.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prep a large cookie sheet by lining with parchment paper.
- Add the first five ingredients to the bowl of your food processor and process until smooth. In a large bowl combine the oat flour, almond meal, flax, baking soda, and salt, and whisk well.
- Scrape the sweet potato mixture into the large bowl and combine well. Fold in chocolate chips. Drop tablespoonfuls of the batter onto a prepped cookie sheet. These won't spread out while baking, so they can be spaced relatively close.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until bottoms are golden brown. They may seem way too soft/underdone when you take them out, but they will firm up. Take out of the oven and leave them on the cookie sheet for about 10-15 minutes, before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
Store in a container for a couple days, after that, keep them in the fridge.