This is a perfect blend sweet and sour goodness. Plus, who doesn't love crisp tofu? The technique of coating the tofu with some cornstarch before pan-frying them helps to create a crisp crust.
Sweet Lime Glazed Tofu [Vegan]
For the Tofu:
- 2 blocks extra firm tofu, sliced into cubes
- 1 heaping tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, sliced into squares
- 1 onion, sliced into squares
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, for frying
For the Glaze:
- 3 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce/liquid aminos
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sriracha (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon corn starch, diluted in 1 tablespoon water
- Dry the tofu and cut into cubes. I wrap the tofu in towels and place a plate on top of it until excess liquid is absorbed by the towels.
- Sprinkle the salt on the tofu cubes. Add the cornstarch. Coat the tofu well.
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients for the sauce except the cornstarch mixture.
- In a pan, heat around 1 1/2 tbsp of oil and then fry the tofu cubes until crisp and golden. You may need to turn around the tofu cubes.
- Take out the tofu and sauté the onions and bell peppers in a little oil. Add in the glaze ingredients except the corn starch + water.
- Cook the sauce until it boils then lower hear before adding in the cornstarch mixture. Mix until thick.
- Add in the tofu and cook until the sauce is well incorporated.
- Serve with a bowl of rice or noodles and enjoy while hot!