Most of the time, I kinda cringe at using meat names to describe my vegan recipes. But with this recipe for Sweet and Sour Vegan TVP, it was just so ridiculously similar that I got the "Are you sure this doesn't have meat?" remark from my roomies and partner. I always get some weird satisfaction when people are "surprised" that what I've made is plant-based, it's proof that you really can have your cake and eat it too.
Sweet and Spicy ‘Pork’ [Vegan]
- 2.5 cup TVP chunks
- 1 bell pepper - diced
- 1 medium onion - sliced
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp liquid aminos
- 1 Tbsp sriracha - or more to taste
- 3 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Re-hydrate the TVP chunks with boiling water and let sit for about 5-7 minutes.
- While that's happening, make the sauce by whisking together the ketchup, rice vinegar, brown sugar, braggs, sesame seeds, ginger and garlic. Taste for balance and adjust if needed.
- In a large deep pan or wok, water sauté the onions for 5 minutes, toss the peppers in for about 2 minutes. Now throw in the TVP chunks and "dry" them off a bit.
- Pour in all the sauce and toss to coat, cook on medium high heat until the sauce is absorbed and sticky.
- Bell Pepper