These nut-free treats are really easy to make, and they can be packed with whatever ingredients you like! The dates are a wholesome natural sweetener, and when paired with a liquid sweetener, the dry ingredients stick together to form a slab of seedy goodness. These can be enjoyed on the go, such as on a hiking trip.
Super-Seedy Muesli Bars [Vegan, Nut-Free]
- 1/2 cup pitted dates, soaked in water for at least 4 hours
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup rice malt or maple syrup, or any other plant-based liquid sweetener
- 1/2 cup raw buckwheat
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup puffed rice, quinoa, millet, or amaranth
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seed butter (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 320°F. Line an 8-inch (20-cm) square baking tin with baking paper.
- Drain the dates. Blend with a stick blender or food processor until it forms a paste. Add all of ingredients to a medium-size mixing bowl and mix until everything is evenly combined. Scoop into the baking tin, and firmly press down the mixture with the back of a spoon or cake scraper.
- Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until it turns golden brown. Let it completely cool in the baking tin.
- Remove from the tin and use a sharp serrated knife or chef’s knife to cut into bars. Use a gentle sawing action and hold in place to minimize any crumbling.
- Enjoy immediately, or store in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 week, in the fridge for 2 weeks, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.