I wanted to create a snack bar that delivered maximum possible nutrition plus fantastic taste and here is the result: super-seedy, crunchy, nutty, heavenly bars that are high in fibre, omega-3 fats, protein, B vitamins, vitamin E, magnesium, iron and zinc. Nuts and seeds are real powerhouses of nutrients and therefore form the basis of these bars. They team beautifully with dark chocolate, which packs a hefty polyphenol punch. Perfect after exercise or anytime you want a nutritious treat.
Super-Seedy Bars [Vegan]
- 125 g (1 cup) mixed seeds (or any combination of sunflower, pumpkin, sesame and flax seeds)
- 100 g (1/2 cup) mixed nuts (or any combination of almonds, cashews, Brazil nuts and pecans), roughly chopped
- 25 g (1.5 tablespoons) ground flaxseed
- 25 g (1.5 tablespoons) rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) golden, agave or maple syrup
- 50 g (1/4 cup) dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas mark 4 (356°F). Meanwhile, line a 900 g loaf tin (18 x 6 cm) with baking paper.
- Place the seeds, nuts, ﬂaxseed and oats in a large mixing bowl. Add the vanilla extract, cinnamon and syrup; mix together. Spoon into the prepared tin. Press down ﬁrmly, making sure there are no gaps, and bake for about 30 minutes until lightly golden but not brown around the edges. Take out of the oven and press down again using a large spoon. Allow to cool completely.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces, place in a microwavable bowl and heat on full power for 2–3 minutes, stirring at 30-second intervals until almost molten. Stir and leave for a few moments until completely melted. Alternatively, place the chocolate pieces in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water, and heat until the chocolate starts to melt, then stir until completely melted. Drizzle over the cooled nut mixture. Pop the tin in the freezer for the chocolate to set, otherwise you can just leave to cool in the kitchen. Once cooled, cut into eight bars.
- They will keep in an airtight container for up to seven days.