This pesto has a lot of interesting ingredients, to make it even more flavorful and exciting! Use it to make a yummy vegan pesto pasta, or in your favorite salad!
Sunflower Seeds and Brussels Sprouts Pesto [Vegan]
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion peeled and cut into thin rings
- 1 clove of garlic peeled and minced
- 14-ounces brussels sprouts cleaned, washed, dipped and cut into quarters
- 1 teaspoon sweetener (eg birch sugar or maple syrup or similar)
- 1.8-ounces nuts (sunflower seeds, pine nuts, hazelnuts or similar)
- 2 tablespoons of yeast flakes (instead of parmesan)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin (if necessary, even without)
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1.7-ounces vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F convection. Lay out a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, mix together the onion rings, the Brussels sprouts, birch sugar, 2 tablespoons olive oil, cumin, and some salt. Then put everything completely on the baking tray and bake.
- The baking time varies greatly according to the model of the particular oven. I have had the mixture about 25 minutes in it, the original recipe is given with 10-12 minutes baking time. But here is the note that the cooking time of cabbage is different. Be sure that the cabbage does not turn black. You can also fry the mixture in the pan until the cabbage is cooked.
- When the mass in the oven is ready, then you spoon about 5.3-ounces of it into a tall container, to the yeast flakes, the lemon juice, the garlic, the nuts (like previously roasted in the pan), the vegetable broth, 4 tablespoons olive oil, about 1 teaspoon salt. Now puree with a hand blender, season with salt and pepper if possible and serve best with (gluten-free) pasta.