This stuffed sage carnival squash is an easy and impressive festive squash stuffed with all kinds of delicious seasonal flavors. Roasted Carnival squash is hollowed out and then stuffed with sautéed apples, kale, pumpkin, and vegan sausage. It’s the perfect start or companion to any fall dinner.
Stuffed Sage Carnival Squash [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Stuffed Sage Carnival Squash [Vegan]
- 1 Carnival or Acorn squash, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 small apple, diced
- 1 vegan sausage, diced
- 4 large kale or Swiss chard leaves and stems, chopped
- 1/2 15-ounce canned pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
How to Prepare Stuffed Sage Carnival Squash [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place face down on a baking sheet coated with a nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 425°F for about 30-40 minutes, until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a large rimmed frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium-low. Add the onion and garlic. Sauté until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Now, stir in the salt, pepper, and sage. Add the apple, sausage, and kale. Sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until the kale is wilted.
- Add the remaining ingredients, mixing well to combine. Stir occasionally while over medium heat for about 8-10 minutes. The apples should be softened but not cooked through. Remove from heat to rest until the squash is done baking.
- When the squash is done, keep the oven on, and divide the stuffing evenly between each squash, filling half the center. Place back in the oven for about 3 minutes to heat through.
- Serve hot.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.