These cupcakes are perfect for using up all of those fresh summertime strawberries. Strawberries and wine is a classic combo that usually involves champagne, but a cheap white wine is a great alternative if you're on a budget. It has a really subtle flavor that comes through mostly in the frosting, so it’s not important to buy a super expensive bottle. I use Moscato, a sweet white wine, because that’s what I like to drink. So choose whichever wine you like best to flavor your frosting! The cakes are vanilla marbled with strawberry wine compote. The frosting is a soft, fluffy buttercream that’s flavored only with the wine. The wine cuts the sweetness a little, giving the frosting a slight tang.
Strawberry Wine Cupcakes [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries (hulled, green tops removed)
- 1/2- 3/4 cup sweet wine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine, room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegan shortening
- 3-3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons sweet wine of your choice (like Moscato)
- Combine the strawberries, wine and sugar in a small pot and heat over medium high heat. The amount of wine depends on your taste. I recommend the 3/4 cup measure for a fuller flavor, but it will take a little bit longer for the compote to cook down.
- Bring the compote to a boil, reduce the heat to simmer. Let the compote simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The liquid should have reduced by about 3/4 and all of the strawberries should be broken down. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a muffin tin with cupcake papers.
- Use a whisk or a fork to mix the apple cider vinegar into the almond milk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk or sift the mixture together.
- Add the oil, sugar and vanilla to the almond milk mixture. Mix well and add to the flour mixture. Use a whisk to beat the mixture for a minute, getting rid of lumps.
- Pour the strawberry wine compote into the batter and use a spatula to fold it in. You don’t want it to be completely mixed, you want ribbons of the compote throughout the cupcakes.
- Pour about 1/3 cup of batter into each cupcake paper and bake for 15-17 minutes, until the cupcakes are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool in the tin for about 10-15 minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
To Make the Buttercream:
- Use an electric mixer to cream the margarine and the shortening together. Beat for about 2 minutes, until the two (margarine and the shortening) resemble one. Add the powdered sugar half a cup at a time with the mixer on low. Once 3 cups are added, add 2 tablespoons of wine. Beat for 2 minutes on high (as high as your mixer can go without frosting being flung all over your kitchen!). Taste the buttercream, add more sugar or wine as needed.
- Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, frost them with a butter knife or using a pastry bag. Store covered at room temperature.
*Vanilla cupcake recipe adapted from "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero