Turn your favorite, fruity and refreshing drink into an elegant and adorable dessert! These delicious, vegan strawberry lemonade macarons have a perfectly smooth and shiny top, ruffled feet, and a moist, chewy middle. Added rose lemonade into the buttercream frosting along with some lemon creates a delicious strawberry lemonade flavor, These macarons would be perfect to make for an event, as a gift, or as a little snack.
Strawberry Lemonade Macarons [Vegan, Grain-Free]
For the Macarons:
- 1/2 cup and 1 1/3 tablespoons of chickpea brine from a can
- 1/3 cup and 1 teaspoon of golden caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon of pink food coloring
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract/flavoring
- 1 1/8 cup of ground almonds
- 1/2 cup and 1 teaspoon of powdered sugar
For the Filling:
- 1/4 cup of vegan butter
- 1 3/4 cups of powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons of lemonade
- 1 teaspoon of lemon extract
- Drop of pink food coloring
To Make the Macaron Shells:
Place the chickpea brine into a small sauce pan and place on the hob over a medium heat. Simmer until it reduces to about 1/3 of the original mixture. Once reduced, set aside to cool.
Place the chickpea brine into a mixing bowl and whizz up on high until fluffy. You can use a stand mixer with a balloon whisk attachment or you can use a hand mixer. This will take around 5 minutes.
Once fluffy, add in the golden caster sugar a little at a time while the mixture is still mixing on high. The mixture will turn thick and glossy.
- Add in the food coloring and vanilla extract, then whisk until combined. Make sure the mixture is thick and glossy. It should resemble marshmallow fluff at this stage.
- Fold in the ground almonds and icing sugar using a rubber spatula.
- Line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Transfer the mixture into a piping bag and pipe 3 to 4-inch round circles on the lined tray, then swirl the tip off to one side. Repeat for all of the batter, making sure to space out the macarons.
- Tap the tray firmly against counter 2 or 3 times to release any air bubbles. Allow the macarons to stand at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Place the macarons into the middle of a cold oven, shut the door and immediately then heat the oven to 212°F. Bake the macarons for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, turn off the oven and leave the macarons in the oven with the door closed for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, open the oven door and leave the macarons to sit for 15 minutes. Doing this helps to bring down the temperature of the macarons slowly so they don't collapse in quick temperature changes.
- Allow them to cool fully before filling.
To Make the Filling:
- In a bowl or stand mixer, cream the butter on high then add in icing sugar, lemonade, lemon extract and pink food coloring. Add milk if needed.
- Transfer the filling into a piping bag.
- Once the macarons have cooled, add a swirl of filling to one macaron shell and press another on top to create a sandwich. Repeat for all of the macarons.
- Serve fresh or store in a sealed container in the refrigerator, the buttercream will firm up at room temperature.