These are far from your ordinary ice cream cookie sandwiches. Homemade, naturally-sweetened vegan strawberry frozen yogurt is layered between two cookies made from buckwheat, almond flour, and rolled oats. Roll the edges of each of these froyo cookie sandwiches in crushed pistachios for an extra crunch and a cookbook-worthy look.
Strawberry Frozen Yogurt Cookie Sandwiches [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cookies:
- 1 cup and 2 tablespoons rolled oats (gluten-free if required)
- 3/4 cup and 1/2 tablespoon almond meal
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/3 cup cacao nibs
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1/3 teaspoon ground ginger
- A pinch of sea salt
For the Strawberry Frozen Yogurt:
- 8.8 ounces strawberries
- 8.8 ounces non-dairy yogurt (coconut or cashew works best)
- 2–3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot
- 1/3 teaspoon vanilla powder
For the Garnish:
- Chopped pistachios, for coating
- Preheat oven to 360°F degrees. In a big bowl, mix together oats, almond flour, buckwheat flour, vanilla, ginger, baking powder, and salt. Pour over coconut oil, maple syrup, and almond milk and stir until you get a sticky mixture.
- To make the cookies, roll about 1 tablespoon of the mixture into a ball then flatten with your hands. Proceed like this until you get 14 cookies, then bake them for about 20 to 25 minutes. Take them out of the oven and allow them to be cool.
- Make yogurt by blending together strawberries, yogurt, maple, arrowroot, and vanilla. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and wait until done. If you don’t have an ice cream maker, pour the mixture into a container and set it the freezer for 4 hours, swirling it every 45 minutes. Otherwise, for an instant ice cream, freeze the strawberries ahead and then blend them with yogurt, maple, arrowroot and vanilla.
- Once the frozen yogurt is ready, place one scoop of the ice cream on a cookie, coat with chopped pistachios, and top and lightly press it with another cookie. Set in the freezer for at least 2 hours.
- Take the ice creams out of the freezer but 20 minutes before serving them.
- Almond Flour
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile