This gorgeous creation is the definition of cake. It's made of moist vanilla spongecake, a zing of lemon, beautiful coconut frosting, and is topped with fresh strawberries. This is the perfect dessert for a little celebration.
Strawberry Coconut Sponge Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- A pinch of sea salt
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed plus 6 tablespoons water
- 1/3 coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Coconut Frosting:
- 1 13.5-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coconut yogurt (omit cinnamon and probiotics from recipe)
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 cups strawberries
- Place the can of full-fat coconut milk into the refrigerator, preferably overnight.
- Make flax eggs by mixing 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed with 6 tablespoons water and leave aside to gel up
- Preheat the oven to 356°F.
- Grease and line round cake baking tin.
- In a large bowl, whisk together ground almonds, oat flour, buckwheat flour, arrowroot, coconut sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and sea salt. Whisk in lemon zest and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flax eggs, coconut oil, almond milk, lemon juice, and vanilla. Have the almond milk at room temperature so the coconut oil doesn't get solid once mixed together.
- Add the wet mix to the dry mix and mix until well combined.
- Evenly divide the mixture between the two cake tins and level out the surface.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until a cocktail stick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven once ready and leave to cool down for 15 minutes before carefully moving onto a wire rack.
- To make the frosting, scoop the solid part of the coconut milk into a bowl, add coconut yogurt, and maple syrup and whip until smooth. Keep in a refrigerator until you're ready to frost the cake.
- Once the cakes are completely cool, place one cake onto a cake stand and spread with some coconut frosting. Thinly slice a few strawberries and arrange on top of the frosting. Place the second cake on the top and using spatula frost the top and the sides of the cake.
- Finish the cake by arranging more strawberries on the top. Slice and serve.