This Chinese steamed tofu will be your go-to recipe when you're in a hurry to prepare something for lunch or dinner. Silken tofu is steamed for five minutes and then served in a garlicky, umami sauce, then topped with scallions. When it comes to toppings, you can play with all kinds of options, like crushed peanuts, fresh herbs or celery leaves, and serve it with rice to make a complete meal.
Chinese Steamed Tofu [Vegan]
- 1 14-ounce block silken tofu
- 1 scallion, green part chopped into 2-inch ribbons, white part thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce
- Prepare a steamer. Place the tofu on a steam-proof plate and steam for 5 minutes. Drain the liquid from the plate that collects during steaming.
- In a microwave-proof bowl, combine garlic and canola oil. Heat on 450 Watts for 3 minutes, or until the garlic turns golden brown. Remove from microwave, add soy sauce and sweet soy sauce, and mix well.
- Arrange scallion on top of the tofu and drizzle the garlic sauce onto it. Serve immediately.