These squash fritters are super simple and quick to make. Mashed winter squash (or sweet potato) are combined with a spicy jalapeño cream and then fried to crispy perfection. They can be a delectable side or take the main stage when paired with a side salad.
Squash Fritters With Jalapeño Cream [Vegan, Grain-Free]
For the Fritters:
- 2 cups cooked squash or sweet potato, mashed
- 1/4 cup jalapeño cream, plus more for serving
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 2 tablespoons camelina oil
- 6-8 leaves of fresh sage
For the Jalapeño Cream:
- 2 cups cashews, soaked in boiled water for 30 minutes
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons sauerkraut (optional, but gives a lovely flavor!)
- 1 jalapeño, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon chives
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2/3 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt or more to taste
To Make the Fritters:
- In a bowl, combine cooked squash or sweet potato with a 1/4 cup of jalapeño cream. Add a dash of salt and pepper and gently combine.
- Over medium-high heat, add camelina oil to a non-stick skillet. Once the oil is hot, spoon the squash mixture into the pan. No more than 2 tablespoons per fritter. Gently flatten them with a spatula. After 40-60 seconds, flip the fritters and add the sage leaves to the pan. Cook the fritters and sage for a minute or so and then remove immediately.
- Plate and serve with another spoon of jalapeño cream, crispy sage leaves, and a drizzle of camelina oil.
To Make the Jalapeño Cream:
- Drain and rinse cashews.
- In a high-speed blender, add drained cashews, lemon juice, water and apple cider vinegar. Start on a low speed and gradually increase the speed as necessary. You'll likely have to stop every 10-20 seconds to scrape the mixture down from the sides of the blender.
- After blending for 2 minutes, stop and add the rest of the ingredients. This is where you control the flavor. If you like heat, add more jalapeño, if you like tang, add more vinegar, etc. Blitz until everything is thoroughly combined. Add water a teaspoon at a time to help blend if necessary.
- Best served chilled.
- Store in an airtight container for up to three days.