The recipe makes 10 cakes, and I think with the addition of the bean puree makes them somewhat of a complete meal. Serve with a green salad and you are all set!
Squash Cakes [Vegan]
- 1 small acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1 small butternut squash, halved and seeded
- 4 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp liquid smoke (or less depending on how much smokiness you want)
- 1/4 cup bread crumb
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup cannellini beans (I cooked dried beans but you could used canned as well)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Heat the oven to 400. Place squash open side down on a baking sheet and roast for 20-30 minutes until the skin is very soft when pierced with a fork. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Pulse the cannellini beans in a food processor until smooth. Add to a bowl. Scoop the flesh of the squashes and put into the same bowl along with all the other ingredients except the olive oil and mix well.
- In a skillet over medium high heat add the olive oil. Once hot form into cakes and place in the skillet allowing them to cook about 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown. Be careful when flipping them as they are quite soft.
- Serve immediately.