Spinach Chana Masala Vada are crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. These are great to serve hot for friends and family during festival season.
Spinach Chana Masala Vada [Vegan]
- 1 cup Chana Dal (Yellow Split Peas)
- 2~3 Green Chilies, chopped
- 1" piece Ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2~3 Garlic cloves (optional)
- To taste salt
- 1 cup Spinach, chopped
- 1 small Onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro, finely chopped
- 8~10 Curry leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Mint, finely chopped (optional)
- To Deep fry Oil
- Soak chana dal in 2 cups of water for about 2 hours. Drain the water and add the lentils to a blender or food processor. Reserve 2tbsp of lentils.
- Add green chilies, ginger, garlic (if using), salt and blend to form a coarse paste. Try not to add any water while grinding. If the blade is stuck, then just sprinkle a few drops of water.
- Remove the lentil paste into a medium size bowl. Add chopped spinach, onions, cilantro, curry leaves and mint (if using). Mix well to combine.
- Heat oil in a small wok or a saucepan on medium heat. Take a small size ball of the lentil mixture and flatten it lightly on your palm.
- Gently slide it into the hot oil. Depending on the size of the pan, 4~6 fritters/ vada can be fried at a time. Cook on medium flame, turning the vada occasionally to cook evenly on both sides. Fry until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the fritters/ vada on to a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with the remaining lentil mixture.
- Serve vada hot with mint chutney or ketchup and Enjoy!!