This recipe isn't exactly like a traditional egg-based soufflé, but that's what makes it so great! Piping hot clouds of "cheesy" tofu and veggies are enclosed in a tender, flaky crust ... this soufflé definitely needs to make an appearance on your breakfast table! If you're running low on time or energy, feel free to use ready-made pie crusts as a shortcut.
Spinach and Artichoke Soufflé [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Spinach and Artichoke Soufflé [Vegan]
- 2 vegan homemade or ready-made pie crusts
- 16-ounce jar artichoke hearts in water
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Extra-virgin olive oil
How to Prepare Spinach and Artichoke Soufflé [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Take the dough out of the freezer and let thaw to room temperature.
- While that's thawing, start making the filling.
- Chop up your veggies except artichoke hearts and spinach.
- Place onions, pepper and garlic in a large skillet or fry pan and cook until onions and peppers are translucent, about five minutes. Add a tablespoon of water if it starts to stick.
- Add in spinach and cook until the spinach has wilted then remove from heat.
- Place in a food processor and pulse just until chopped, not pureed.
- Remove from processor and place chopped veggies in large bowl and set aside.
- In the same processor place tofu, lemon juice, brown rice flour, nutritional yeast, vinegar, onion powder, salt and pepper and run until completely smooth and creamy.
- Add into large bowl with veggies and mix until well combined.
- Cut thawed dough into four pieces and roll into balls. Roll dough out flat then mold to ramekins letting it fall over the sides.
- Fill each ramekin with spinach and artichoke mixture about ¾ of the cup.
- Fold sides over the top but not covering completely.
- Brush tops with extra-virgin olive oil and bake for 35 minutes.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.