This is a fairly simple meal to throw together – just chop up a bunch of vegetables (I used onion, garlic, mushroom, broccoli, corn, peas, carrots, potato and celery – which sounds like a lot but they are all easy vegetables to chop and there’s not much of any one ingredient.) Then just sauté those in a medium pot until softened and add some water or broth, a bit of corn starch (or potato starch) and let it get nice and bubbly and thick. While that heats you can mix together your dough (Tee hee! I’m still so psyched that my recipe worked!)
Easy Veggie Pot Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Easy Veggie Pot Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Filling:
- 1 large potato, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped fine
- 1 stalk celery, chopped fine
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 large Shittake mushroom or 4-5 white mushrooms, chopped
- About 3/4 cup chopped broccoli florets (optional)
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup frozen corn
- 4-6 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 Tbsp Corn Starch (or potato starch)
- 1-2 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- Black pepper, to taste
For the Crust:
- 3/4 cup amaranth flour
- 3/4 cup white rice flour
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons potato starch
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons canola oil (or some other neutral oil)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cold water or more
- Olive oil (optional – to brush over the top of the crust)
How to Prepare Easy Veggie Pot Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- To make the filling: Sauté potato, carrot, celery, onion, corn, mushroom, broccoli, peas, and garlic in a medium pot until softened. Add water or broth and whisk in corn starch. Add bay leaf, oregano, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and heat, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened and bubbling. Remove from heat, remove the bay leaf, and fill your serving dishes with 1/4 of the mixture in each.
- To make the dough: Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, stir together Amaranth, White Rice flour, potato starch, salt, and Arrowroot. Add in coconut oil, canola oil, apple cider vinegar, and water and mix with a fork or your hands until a cohesive dough ball forms. If necessary you can add a bit more water or amaranth to make it more wet or dry, as needed.
- Roll the dough out on a smooth clean surface into a 1/4 inch sheet. Cut out circles slightly larger than your serving dishes. Using a wide spatula, transfer your dough circles onto the top of your filled serving dishes. Gently press your finger around the edge to create a wave, if desired. Brush a thin coat of olive oil over the top of the crust and bake at 350° for 15-25 minutes, checking every few minutes to make sure it doesn’t burn, until surface is slightly cracked and a light golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes and enjoy!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per Serving: Calories: 515 | Carbs: 72 g | Fat: 22 g | Protein: 9 g | Sodium: 61 g | Sugar: 4 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.