You can have restaurant-style sofritos without going out to eat. These tofu sofritos are cooked with fresh tomatoes, spices, and three types of chili peppers to make it extra-spicy. This makes as a filling for any Mexican-style dish, like tacos, burritos, and burrito bowls.
Spicy Tofu Sofritos [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 14-ounce block extra firm tofu
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green chili pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili , chopped
- 1 medium-sized poblano chili pepper, diced
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons cilantro , finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeño, finely chopped
- Drain the tofu and press it between paper towels with weight placed on top and set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Dry-roast the poblano in a pan or directly over the flame or under the broiler, until the skin is blistered and wrinkled. Place the poblano in a bowl and cover it for 10 minutes. Once cool enough to handle, remove the skin, chop, and set aside.
- In a large non-stick pan, heat 2 teaspoons oil and add the diced tofu and cook till it is browned on all sides. Remove into a bowl and crumble it up.
- In the same pan you cooked tofu, heat 2 teaspoons more oil. Add the garlic, jalapeño, green pepper, and onion. Cook until the onion turns translucent and the pepper is tender.
- Next, add the roasted poblano, chipotle chili, and the tomatoes. Cook until the tomatoes are mushy and slightly dried out.
- Season with salt, taco seasoning, and ground oregano. Add the crumbled tofu and cook, stirring occasionally, until the flavors mingle.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and squeeze of lime juice.
Recipe adapted from Herbivore Cucina.