Not going to lie, sometimes I love a good Chipotle bowl/salad. Especially on the go. Or when I’m too tired and lazy to cook. Brown rice, black beans, peppers, corn, salsa, lettuce, a lil’ guac – what’s not to love? I know they (unfortunately) have lots of oils, but once in a while, I give in … balance right? It was only a matter of time before I shared my recipe for this Spicy Kale and Quinoa Black Bean Salad because it tastes THE SAME as Chipotle, and without any oil whatsoever. You don’t need it, I promise.
Spicy Kale and Quinoa Black Bean Salad [Vegan]
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 6 cups chopped kale, de-stemmed
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1/4 cup hot sauce of your choice (I used a chili pepper sauce)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium-sized pot, combine 2 cups of water with 1 cup of quinoa and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy.
- In a large salad bowl, add the kale and the onion.
- Once the quinoa is done cooking, add in the black beans and corn to the pot. Mix it up. You could just add these over the kale but I wanted to warm up the beans and corn. Add the quinoa mixture over the kale and mix.
- Prepare the dressing. Pour the dressing over the salad, mix and enjoy!
Stays fresh in the refrigerator up to 2 days. Can replace quinoa with rice and add any additional veggies you like. Bell peppers, tomato, avocado etc.