There’s really nothing like a big ol’ plate of beans ‘n greens to fill you up and make you feel super-duper healthy. Although I never ate collards growing up, I’m so glad to have discovered them as an adult! Packed full of calcium, iron, and vitamins A and C, they make a great nutrient-dense side dish, especially with the addition of cannellini beans!
Spicy Collards and White Beans [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Spicy Collards and White Beans [Vegan]
- 1 bunch collards, de-stemmed, rolled, and cut into ribbons
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion (about 7 oz), diced very finely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 cups no- or low-sodium vegetable broth (I use a salt-free homemade broth)
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 8 oz cannellini beans (about half a can)
How to Prepare Spicy Collards and White Beans [Vegan]
- In a large saucepan or small stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the onions and garlic. Let cook for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are starting to get translucent. (You can prepare the collards during this time.)
- Add the vegan Worcestershire sauce and maple syrup and stir to coat the onions and garlic. Cook for another 3 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Sprinkle in the red pepper flakes, then add the collards and broth to the pot. Bring the greens to a boil and then reduce the heat.
- Let the greens simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, checking them occasionally to ensure the liquid hasn’t boiled away. (If it’s getting low, add a few tablespoons more broth or water.)
- After 30 minutes, the liquid should be much lower, but the pot should not dry. Add the beans to the pot, stir, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Taste and add more red pepper flakes if it’s not spicy enough for you. Eat!
If you’re using canned beans, feel free to throw the whole can in there; you’ll just have a higher bean-to-green ratio. Not that that’s a bad thing!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.