Composed of cabbage, carrots, onion, and navy beans, this hotpot is a medley of delicious flavors! It is fragrant and lightly spiced with caraway, fennel, mustard seeds, cumin, and smoked paprika. Serve on a bed of garlicky mashed potatoes.
Spicy Cabbage Hotpot [Vegan]
- 4 cups savoy cabbage
- 2 large carrots
- 1 medium onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 14-ounce cans of navy beans
- 1 14-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Heat some olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add finely chopped onion and crushed garlic. Fry for one minute. Add caraway seeds, fennel seeds, mustard seeds, smoked paprika, ground cumin, and oregano. Cut the carrots into thick slices and add to saucepan.
- Fry all together while you prepare the cabbage.
- Roughly chop cabbage in 2-centimeter slices. Discard the hard core.
- Place cabbage in the saucepan, followed by the chopped tomatoes, and the stock. Cover and cook for around 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Stir well so the cabbage cooks evenly. Remove lid.
- Rinse and drain the navy beans. Add to saucepan, mix well and cook uncover for another 10 minutes or so until the vegetables are cooked.
- Season with lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Serve.