A dish that is easy to prepare and makes the whole family happy — who could ask for more on a chilly winter evening? This spicy stew consists of abundant healthy and good ingredients such as peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, celery, tomatoes, Hokkaido pumpkin, apples, and hearty bulgur. Bulgur adds a nutty flavor, but if you are gluten-free then you can substitute it for buckwheat. A delicious topping is, of course, not to be missed, so it is garnished with tahini, roasted pumpkin seeds, and fresh parsley.
Spicy Bulgur and Vegetable Stew [Vegan]
For the Stew:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 celery stalks, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes or fresh tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups, plus 1 3/4 tablespoons water or vegetable broth
- 1 1/8 cups bulgur (or buckwheat, to make it gluten-free)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cumin, to taste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sugar or agave syrup
- Chili flakes, to taste
- Cinnamon, to taste
- Pepper powder, to taste
- Fresh or dried thyme, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 1 medium-sized apple, peeled and diced
- .77 ounces Hokkaido pumpkin, cut into mouth-sized pieces
- 3 cups water or vegetable broth, plus more as needed
For the Topping:
- Roasted pumpkin seeds
- Fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onions for a few minutes.
- Add the peppers and continue frying for about 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes and celery and cook for about 10 minutes with constant stirring.
- Then, add the piled tomatoes, the tomato paste, the water or the vegetable broth, the bulgur, the spices, the sugar and the salt into the pot and boil everything for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Now, add the apples, the pumpkin, and water or vegetable broth and simmer the stew with the lid closed for about 30 minutes or to the desired consistency at low heat.
- Remove the stove, remove the lid from the pot and let it stand for about 10-15 minutes. If necessary, add the remaining water or vegetable broth. Stir the stew again and season with more spices and salt. Serve the stew in bowls and, if desired, topped with tahini roasted pumpkin seeds, and parsley.