If you need a quick breakfast that'll give you a great start to your day, try this chickpea breakfast scramble! It's a soy-free take on the classic tofu scramble that still packs an impressive amount of protein and flavor. Serve on top of toast with greens, tomatoes, or vegan cheese. This recipe is so easy to make and a great go-to, post-workout meal that refuels and restores.
Spiced Chickpea Breakfast Scramble [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Scramble:
- 1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Olive oil or water, as needed
- 1/4 Vidalia onion, minced
- 1 spring onion, trimmed and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Optional Add-Ins:
- Cherry tomatoes
- Hot sauce
- Toast, for serving
- In a sauté pan, add a drizzle of olive oil and heat over medium flame. Heat the oil and add your onions and spring onions to cook.
- In the meantime, rinse and drain your chickpeas. Then, mash them in a bowl with clean hands or with a fork. Then. add your spices to the chickpeas and a drizzle of olive oil to add some moisture (just a few drops are necessary). Once mixed well, add to your pan with the onions and heat thoroughly or cook until golden brown.
- Serve atop of gluten-free toast with garnishes of your choice.