These homemade crackers have the perfect crunch. The pate is creamy, with just the right amount of tanginess. Serve these crackers and pate alongside any other spread, like hummus or cashew cheese, as an appetizer at parties and they'll be a guaranteed hit.
Spelt-Flax Crackers With Sunflower Seed Pate [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Spelt-Flax Crackers With Sunflower Seed Pate [Vegan]
For the Spelt and Flax Crackers:
- 1/2 cup, plus 1 tablespoon spelt flour
- 1/2 cup flaxmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 2 teaspoon raw sugar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons water
For the Lemon Dill Sunflower Pate:
- 1 cup raw sunflower kernels, soaked for at least 6 hours
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 1 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon roasted garlic powder
- A pinch of sea salt
How to Prepare Spelt-Flax Crackers With Sunflower Seed Pate [Vegan]
To Make the Crackers:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Get either a silicone baking sheet or a sheet of parchment ready (you will roll the cracker dough out on this before placing it on your sheet pan).
- Whisk together the dry ingredients until combined. Make a well in the center, then add the water and oil. Mix with a spatula or wooden spoon until the dough comes together. Dust your hands with some spelt flour, then knead the dough a few times until it is smooth.
- Lightly dust your baking sheet. Place the dough on the sheet and roll it out with a rolling pin until it is about 1/16-inch thick, making sure to keep it on the sheet.
- Using a pastry or pizza cutter, cut the dough into squares, then use a fork to prick the crackers. Transfer the sheet to your baking sheet and bake the crackers for 8-12 minutes until they are golden and crisp at the edges.
- Remove from the oven and check to see if you need to re-cut any of the crackers (the dough should pull away as it bakes, making this unnecessary). Cool for about 10 minutes on the sheet, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
To Make the Pate:
- Soak the sunflower seeds. Put them in a medium-sized bowl, cover them with water, and let them soak overnight or for at least 6-8 hours. Strain and rinse them before using.
- In a food processor or high-speed blender, process the ingredients until a thick, creamy pate forms. Once the pate is thick and creamy, taste it and adjust for seasoning. Serve immediately with the spelt and flax crackers or anything of your choosing.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.