Hush puppies are little balls of fried cornbread flecked with onions. They were originally made of a cornmeal batter that was used to coat fish. They really were given to the pups! This delicious recipe is made vegan and healthier while still maintaining that crispy dense texture! This recipe and many more can be found in Kathy Hester's "Vegan Cooking In Your Air Fryer." Available on Amazon!
Southern Air-Fried Hush Puppies [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup cornmeal (fine ground if possible)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup soy milk mixed with
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup aquafaba
- 1 tablespoon vegan sugar (or sweetener of choice to taste)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (use extra aquafaba)
- Spray oil (optional)
- Add the cornmeal, baking powder and salt to a medium-size mixing bowl and combine well.
- Mix in the nondairy milk, onion, aquafaba, sugar and olive oil.
- Scoop a tablespoon of batter and roll into a ball. You can also just use a 1 tablespoon scoop. Place in your air fryer basket.
- Once the basket is full, spray the tops with oil if using. Bake at 390°F for 10 minutes. Repeat until all the hush puppies are cooked.
Note: You can use a piece of perforated parchment paper under the hush puppies to keep them from sticking.