Apple cinnamon rolls in a tart – need we say more? This tart is a decadent combination of two of the best desserts of all time. The recipe takes a little bit of time but the end result is worth it.
Sourdough Cinnamon Roll Deep Dish Apple Tart [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Sourdough Cinnamon Roll Deep Dish Apple Tart [Vegan]
For the Dough:
- 1 cup active sourdough starter
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons flax eggs plus 6 tablespoons water)
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup raisins
For the Filling:
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon each cloves and allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 5 medium apples
For the Glaze:
- 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond milk
For the Crust:
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons raw sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons almond milk
How to Prepare Sourdough Cinnamon Roll Deep Dish Apple Tart [Vegan]
- Start by mixing all the ingredients for the dough – except the raisins – together. Let them rise for 2-4 hours. Be sure to keep the dough in a warm moist environment; it will rise faster.
- Halfway through the rising process, roll the dough out flat and then sprinkle the raisins over it evenly.
- Roll it into an even log and cut it into 1-inch slices to make your mini cinnamon rolls.
- Let, it rise again.
- While the dough is rising, make the crust for your tart. Mix everything together with your fingers. If it gets too dry, splash a bit more almond milk in until you can mold the dough.
- Press the crust into a deep, 9-inch wide tart pan and set it aside.
- Mix together all of the ingredients for the filling.
- Cut your apples into bite size pieces and then toss them in the spice mixture.
- After the apples have been coated with the spices, spread them across the bottom of the pan.
- Set the cinnamon rolls into the tart and bake it at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- While the tart is baking, mix the ingredients for the glaze together in a bowl.
- Once your tart has cooled a little, pour the glaze over the top.
If you're not using a sourdough base, you'll have to tweak this recipe some. I'd just add 1/4 c. more water and 1 t. more yeast and see how that looks. The dough would rise a lot faster, but the flavor and texture would certainly be affected.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.