This Smoky Tempeh Scramble is an easy to prepare savory morning meal full of protein and veggies that could easily pass as lunch or dinner. Tempeh is a fantastic plant-based source of easy-to-digest protein that has a delicious nutty flavor and satisfying taste. It’s also very high in magnesium and is known to reduce cholesterol, increase bone density, and promote muscle recovery. The natural smoky flavor in this recipe comes from smoked paprika. If you don’t have this spice on hand, don’t stress it. Simply replace it with whatever spice you like – coriander, cumin or sumac are all great options. Now let’s get cooking…
Smoky Tempeh Scramble [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup tempeh crumbled
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil or water
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika or regular paprika will do
- Celtic sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup of baby spinach chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- Heat a small nonstick frying pan over medium heat.
- Add coconut oil (or water) and once hot and simmering, add the garlic and onion. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the bell pepper and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add tempeh, turmeric, smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper, stir to combine.
- Cook and stir until tempeh is hot and evenly coated in the seasoning mix, 3 minutes.
- Add the spinach and parsley and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Taste the tempeh scramble and season with more spices as desired.
- Serve on its own, on top of the avocado, wrapped in a tortilla or alongside green mix salad and sprouted grain toast.