This butternut squash sauce is great pretty much on everything - toast, pasta, roasted vegetables, grains, etc. It has a rich, smoky flavor and thick consistency, and can even be eaten on its own. Butternut squash offers a good supply of vitamin A, potassium and fiber, which help prevent many diseases, improve digestive health and enhance hair and skin. This butternut squash sauce is so wonderful! Healthy, easy to make, and versatile!
Smoky Butternut Squash Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 small butternut squash
- 4 tablespoons coconut or avocado oil, divided oil
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pink Himalayan salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel and cut the butternut squash into small chunks. Toss them with 2 tablespoons of oil and pinch of salt and pepper. Lay them out evenly on the baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes or until very tender and browned on some pieces.
- When the butternut squash is done roasting combine it with the water, cashews, garlic powder, turmeric, paprika and a pinch of salt and pepper in a blender and puree until totally smooth. If the sauce is too thick, add more water, a little bit at a time, until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Place the sauce to a pot and warm up before serving.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat before serving.