Comfort food should accomplish several points to make it truly awesome. 1) It should evoke feelings of nostalgia (which is great for your soul, 2) It should be quick and easy (nostalgia shouldn't take all night to achieve!) and 3) It should be nourishing (comfort shouldn't come at the cost of our health). Fortunately, these saucy, hearty and all around amazing sloppy joes tick off each of these points perfectly.
Sloppy Lentils [Vegan]
- 2 1/2 cups cooked lentils
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1/4 of a red onion, diced
- 2 small carrots, diced small or shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 ounces can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup organic brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegan worcestershire sauce (or use 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar and 1 tbsp molasses)
- 1-2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt/pepper to taste
- 6 buns
- Toppings of choice - tomatoes, pickles, avocado, sliced onion, etc.
- Sauce the onion, garlic, green pepper, and carrots in 3 tablespoons water over medium heat for 5-6 minutes until soft (adding more water as necessary so the veggies don't stick).
- Add the tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, vegan worcestershire sauce (or balsamic and molasses), liquid smoke, mustard and oregano. Bring to a low boil, decrease heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Taste and add salt/pepper (or more balsamic or liquid smoke) if necessary.
- Add in the cooked lentils and stir until evenly coated. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Serve on buns with your favorite toppings.