I really should stop eating before I go into a food coma from this amazingly simple creamy potato leek soup. Hold on…I need another bite. This creamy soup passed the family taste test with flying colors, even though there isn’t an ounce of dairy in it! I have to say I was surprised that this soup was such a hit since it is probably the least amount of work and time I have put into cooking. I was expecting it to be boiling for hours…which you can do if you want to throw it in the crockpot all day to simmer all of the flavors, but I just took 30 minutes to boil and simmer this soup.
Creamy Potato Leek Soup [Vegan]
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 medium yellow onion (chopped)
- 2 leeks (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 5 lbs peeled potatoes (cubed)
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 2 cups almond milk
- 6 cups water or vegetable broth (make sure your veggie broth doesn't have tomatoes)
- 2 tbsp-1/4 cup cognac (I used a 1/4 cup)
- 2 tsp-1 tbsp salt
- Great things to add to this: kale, mushrooms, cabbage
- Make a rue with the first 4 ingredients by combining in a stockpot and sweat the vegetables until golden brown.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot and boil. Once boiling (about 10 minutes), reduce to a simmer until the potatoes are tender. Around another 20 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves, then use an immersion blender and blend to desired consistency OR take 2-4 cups of the soup and put into a blender (Don’t fill the blender more than 3/4 of the way). I used my Vitamix.
- Stir and taste test! This is where you decide if it needs more salt, cognac, almond milk, etc., based on your taste buds and the texture you like. (Don’t fill the blender more than 3/4 of the way)
- Put on a green shirt and eat with some Irish soda bread!
Feel free to swap out the almond milk for vegetable broth if you prefer. Additional veggies to add for a nutrition bump: 2 carrots & 1 celery stalk
- Potato Recipes