Silverbeet and Mushroom Soup is a simple soup of silverbeet, spring onions and mixed mushrooms. You can actually grow almost every ingredient for it in your garden. Silverbeet, or swiss chard, is a leafy green that is full of vitamins. If you're getting tired of kale, it's a great alternative. This soup is so comforting and homey. It's great to make on a cool fall evening, but this Silverbeet and Mushroom Soup is a lovely meal during any time of the year.
Silverbeet and Mushroom Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2-3 bunches silverbeet, chopped
- 2 cups chopped mixed dried wild mushrooms
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 bunch spring onions, chopped, white and green part separated
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Rehydrate mushrooms in 3 cups of boiling water covered in a small bowl, set aside
- In a soup pot, add oil and sauté garlic and onions.
- Drain and press mushrooms to remove excess liquid, reserve the water used in rehydrating the mushrooms. Add mushrooms into the soup pot then stir fry gently in medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Pour mushroom liquid and stock into the soup pot then bring to boil and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Add silverbeet and white parts of spring onions, bring to a boil then simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Top with the green parts of the spring onions then serve.