I've never been too fond of traditional lemon bars. Too much sugar and not enough lemon taste. That is why I came up wit these lemon coconut squares. You can easily omit the maple syrup or agave for a completely sugar free lemon square. They only have 7 ingredients, are deliciously creamy and have a zesty lemon touch!
7 Ingredient Lemon Coconut Squares [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Coconut Flour Crust:
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 6 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1 Medjool date
For the Lemon Coconut Filling:
- 2 cups coconut cream
- 3 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoons agave nectar or maple syrup (optional)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8x8-inch pan with parchment paper.
- Pulse almonds and dates in a food processor until chopped. Do not overdo it or you will end up with almond butter.
- In a mixing bowl mix coconut flour and coconut oil until smooth. Mix together with processed almonds and dates from above step. Press mixture into the bottom of your prepared pan.
- Bake crust for 8 minutes in oven until the edges become slightly brown.
- Remove pan from the oven and cool.
- In the mean time, process coconut cream, lemon zest, lemon juice, and maple syrup in food processor. Process until smooth. Adjust level of sweetness or tartness to taste by adding more lemon juice or maple syrup.
- Pour filling in the pan, over the crust. Spread the filling evenly over crust and into the corners. Sprinkle shredded coconut on top and lightly press on top of coconut filling.
- Put pan in freezer and freeze for about an hour until filling sets. Carefully remove the squares from the pan, place on a different plate and set in the refrigerator. Allow squares to slightly thaw in the fridge before trying to cut them.
- Keep squares in the refrigerator and eat within 5 days.
1) Lemon Coconut Squares are freezer friendly. Store them in the freezer for up to a month. Try not to thaw and refreeze squares too often. 2) Coconut cream can be bought at a store or from a can of coconut milk. Refridgerate can of coconut milk over night. Carefully open can and you will notice that the coconut milk will have separated into coconut water and coconut cream. Scoop out the hard, white coconut cream and use for this recipe. 3) To make this recipe raw vegan, skip baking the crust in the oven. Simple make the crust as described and pour the filling over it. The crust won't be crisp but more like that of my other vegan cheesecakes.