I've never been too fond of traditional lemon bars. Too much sugar and not enough lemon taste. That is why I came up with these lemon coconut squares. They only have 7 ingredients, and they're super easy to make! They are sweetened with unprocessed sugar but are still so delicious! You can easily omit the maple syrup or agave for a completely sugar-free lemon coconut square. Creamy and sweet with just the right amount of lemony zing, these lemon coconut squares are a great vegan dessert. You're going to love them!
Lemon Coconut Squares [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Lemon Coconut Squares [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Coconut Flour Crust:
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 6 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1 Medjool date
For the Lemon Coconut Filling:
- 2 cups coconut cream
- 3 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoons agave nectar or maple syrup (optional)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (optional)
How to Prepare Lemon Coconut Squares [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8x8-inch pan with parchment paper.
- Pulse almonds and dates in a food processor until chopped. Do not overdo it or you will end up with almond butter.
- In a mixing bowl mix coconut flour and coconut oil until smooth. Mix together with processed almonds and dates from the above step. Press mixture into the bottom of your prepared pan.
- Bake crust for 8 minutes in the oven until the edges become slightly brown.
- Remove pan from the oven and cool.
- In the meantime, process coconut cream, lemon zest, lemon juice, and maple syrup in a food processor. Process until smooth. Adjust the level of sweetness or tartness to taste by adding more lemon juice or maple syrup.
- Pour filling in the pan, over the crust. Spread the filling evenly over the crust and into the corners. Sprinkle shredded coconut on top and lightly press on top of coconut filling.
- Put the pan in the freezer and freeze for about an hour until filling sets. Carefully remove the squares from the pan, place them on a different plate, and set in the refrigerator.
- Allow squares to slightly thaw in the fridge before trying to cut them.
- - Keep squares in the refrigerator and eat within 5 days. - Lemon Coconut Squares are freezer-friendly. Store them in the freezer for up to a month. Try not to thaw and refreeze squares too often. - Coconut cream can be bought at a store or from a can of coconut milk. Refrigerate a can of coconut milk overnight. Carefully open the can and you will notice that the coconut milk will have separated into coconut water and coconut cream. Scoop out the hard, white coconut cream and use it for this recipe. - To make this recipe raw vegan, skip baking the crust in the oven. Simply make the crust as described and pour the filling over it. The crust won't be crisp.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 4456 | Total Carbs: 559 g | Total Fat: 280 g | Total Protein: 69 g | Total Sodium: 395 g | Total Sugar: 204 g (Per Serving) Calories: 495 | Carbs: 62 g | Fat: 31 g | Protein: 8 g | Sodium: 44 g | Sugar: 23 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.