These bagels are a fun, yummy, and customizable baking project to try during the weekend! Bagels make such a great breakfast and there really is nothing like a homemade bagel!
Seeded Cranberry Bagels [Vegan]
For Bagel Dough
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon instant or quick-rise yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 10 tablespoons lukewarm water
For the Add-ins
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or chopped dried fruit of choice
- 1/4 cup seeds of choice, such as poppy seeds, hemp seeds, etc
For Water Bath
- 4-6 cups water
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- Combine all the dough ingredients and knead until smooth; about 15 mins by hand.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place in a bowl. Cover the bowl for 1-2 hours, or until the dough has doubled in volume.
- Once the dough has risen, punch it down and mix in the cranberries and seeds. Knead until evenly incorporated.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces and form into balls. Using your thumb, make a hole in the center of each piece, then stretch into a ring by rotating your fingers outward from the center.
- Place the bagel pieces under a damp towel and let rise for around 30 minutes -- or until the each piece has become 1.5 times its original size.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and fill a wide pot with 4-6 cups of water. Bring to a boil and add in 1 tablespoon of baking soda.
- Drop 2-3 bagels at a time into the water, boiling on medium heat for 60 seconds on each side.
- Slightly dry each piece of dough before placing onto a greased baking sheet and sprinkling more seeds on top.
- Bake for around 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove the bagels from the oven and let cool before serving.